Nritya Vidushi Dr. Manjari Chandra
Manjari is a proficient performing artist in Bharathanatyam and Kuchipudi. Her body expressions, perfect and stylistic accessibility is extolled by the critics and connoisseurs alike.
Manjari initiated into Bharathanatyam in a very young age under Nritya Guru Shyamala Bhat,Udupi and continued training under nrithya Kala Sindu RadhaKrishna Tantry for about 14yrs and to attain excellence in tala and nritta she is being trained by Mridangist Adyar Gopinath and Geetha Gopinath(alumni of Kalakshethra). She underwent short training under Guru Ramya Janakiramanan(alumni of Rasika dance academy of Nritya Guru kiran Subramanyam).
Being trained in ‘Pandanallur’ style of bharathanatyam her innovative choreography, brisk body movement and soulful Abhinaya makes her performance outstanding. She has given more than 800 performances in places like Bangaluru, Mysuru, Mangaluru, Davangere, Shimoga, Hubli districts in Karnataka and in places like Bombay, Goa, manthralaya, thirupathi, etc. She claimed to be an international artist at a very young age of 12 when she was invited to Germany along with a troupe. There she had given more than 10 performances under Herman Gundart Society and again in 2003 she flew to Germany along with her parents where her excellent performance carved a niche in the minds of the audience. She also conducted workshops on Bharathanatyam. She has been a major dancer in kanaka purandara fest held in Esslingen,Germany on May 1st 2006. She has been well recognized as young Bharathanatyam artist and her dancing is appreciated in a book ‘Future in Rememberence’ written by Dr. Albrect frenz.
- Hermann Gundart Society, Germany in year 2000 and 2003
- Kanaka Purandara Utsava, Germany 2006
- Brahmothsava, Tirupathi
- Yuva Shakthi Sammelana organized by Gayathri Parivar, Dahisar, Mumbai
- Kannada Sahitya Sammelana, Banavasi
- GSB Community, Dahisar, Mumbai
- Jaganmohana Palace, Mysore
- Yugala Fest, Bangaluru
- Devadiga union – Bangaluru, Mangaluru, Udupi
- Kanakabhisheka, Shrinivasa kalyana, Hanumajayanti, Saptotsava, Krishna astami, and many more – Rajangana, Shri Krishna Mutt
- Billava Association Belthangadi
- Akhila Bharatha Sahakara Sapthaha, Udupi
- Kannada Sahitya Sammelana, Goa
She has received critical appreciation and won laurels for her solo and group performances as well as dance dramas and production. She has won the appreciation of the connoisseurs by taking lead roles in dance productions.
- Surya and Shukra in Navagraha Stuti
- Shiva in Dakshayajna
- Purandara Dasa in Dasalahari
- Kanakadasa in Kugidaru dwani kelalillave
- Shrinivasa in Shrinivasa Kalyana
- Narasimha and kalki in Dashavathara
- Bhasmasura in Bhasmasura Mohini
- Sutrdhari in Brigu Maharshi Garva Bhanga
- Vali in Ramayana
Exclusive solo Performances:
- Rangavalli Nritya: She portrays Lord Ganapathi by dancing on Rangoli Powder
- Ardhanareeshwara: A dance of an androgynous deity composed of Lord Shiva and his consort Devi Parvati
- Navarasa Shivam: Navarasa of Lord Shiva
- Taranga: A Kuchipudi composition where she balances and dances on a brass plate carrying three brass pots on head
- Shiva Tandava Stuti: portraying the might and beauty of lord shiva
- Asta nayika laxanam: She represents the 8 state of a women in love
She completed her Bharathanatyam Vidwat exam conducted by KSEEB, govt. of karanataka in year 2009. She was the highest scorer in state level kuchipudi junior exam. She has completed Carnatic junior exam under Guru Smt. Sumati Ramakrishna. At present learning under Guru Smt. Madhavi Bhat. Manjari has been trained for basic yoga under Smt. Shobha S. Shetty.
She has won rewards and trophies in competitions, Dance dance 1997, kalotsav ’99, 2001, 2002, Expression 2000, Kalasangam 2001, Kishora Prathibha, kalaprathibotsava, State level competition organized by Hejje Gejje Manipal, Spoorthi 2005, Swaroopa 2008, Fishco fest 2009, Swaroopa 2010, etc.
She has been honored by lions club, Kornwesthem Germany, Rotaryclub udupi, Garathri parivar Mumbai, JCI Katpady, Yuva billava vedike Belthangadi, Devadiga Association udupi and Mangaluru, SKPA, etc. Prestigious Vidhya Ratna Award has been bestowed to Manjari in year 2010 by Vidhyanikethan group of institutions kaup for excellence in the field of Bharathanatyam.
Manjari is a Founder Director of Srishti Nritya Kalakuteera®. She is teaching Bharathanatyam for the interested and talented pupil. It has its branches in Udupi and katpady run by Manjari and in Sydney run by Nritya guru Smrithi Rau member of Srishti. Manjari has composed many innovative dances like
- Ganesha Vandana: Exclusive Choreography with a Ganesha Kautvam re-refined
- Shri Chamundeshwari: Krithi of Mysore Vasudevacharya depicting the glory of Goddess Chamundeshwari
- Radha Krishna prema Vilas: Eternal love, Meera Bai’s portrayal of divine Love.
- Om: Towards Awakening
- Dashavataram: A rendering of ten incarnation of Lord Vishnu, an excerpt from Gita Govinda
- Shiva Tandava Stuti: Portraying the might and beauty of dancing Lord Shiva
- Gopika Vilas: The gopikas inviting lord Krishna to the arbor on the banks of river Yamuna
- Durga Stuti: A prayer to Goddess Durga
- Shiva Panchakshari: explaining the importance of 5 sacred syllables on lord Shiva i.e., Na Ma Shi Va Ya
- Tillai Nataraja: A composition showing the bhakti of a devotee on dancing Lord Shiva
And choreographed and directed dance dramas like,
- Bhasmasura Mohini: Defeat of Bhasmasura by Beautiful Mohini
- Ardhanareeshwara: A dance of Androgynous deity composed of Lord Shiva and his consort Parvati
- Shrinivasa Kalyana:
- Kugidaru dwani kelallilave: A tale of Bhakta kanakadasa
- Shiva Parvati Achala Prema: The divinity testing Parvati, a small excerpt from Kumara Sambhava(5th sarga) of Kalidasa
Nrityotsava is an annual dance fest where students of Srishti are highlighted in new choreographies and dance productions. The institution also awards the talented young artists, provides platform, conducts competitions, workshops, demonstrations etc.
With the vivid versatility Manjari not only focuses on performance but also the growth and development of Bharathanatyam by conducting free workshops, a stage for young and unaffordable artists, free education, scholarship, etc.
She is a registered Ayurvedic Practitioner under Karunya Nikethan Ayurvedic medicine trust and also accomplishing master in yoga in KMC Manipal. Manjari is daughter of Smt. Gulabi and Shri chandrashekar K.S.